What is an eLearning Day?
An "eLearning day" means a school day where a school offers full access to online instruction provided by students' individual teachers due to inclement weather. A school district or charter school that chooses to have eLearning days may have up to five eLearning days in one school year. An eLearning day is counted as a day of instruction and included in the hours of instruction under section 120A.41.
About Alexandria eLearning Days
We are able to address a potential school closing through an eLearning day. Because of our digital learning resources and the fact that a high percentage of our students have internet access in their home, the learning does not stop. An eLearning day is a regular school day with regular instruction and attendance provisions for Grades 6-12. For Grades K-5, learning activities are provided to students and parents in the form of a Bingo Card. Activities in Grades K-5 provide choice for students and parents to be online or offline.
eLearning days would not be implemented until the 4th school closing day. Our district calendar annually builds in 3 snow/weather days for students.
You can access the full Alexandria eLearning Plan here.
For State Statue pertaining to an eLearning Day, please use this link.
Timely interaction between students, parents and staff is a vital part of this and a strength of these platforms.
- Grades 6-12: "office hours" are scheduled for 10:00-12:00pm and 12:30-3:30pm with a lunch from 12:00-12:30pm. This will facilitate the opportunity for all our learners to be connected to the staff they participate with in meaningful activities. This will help reduce the impact of lost face-to-face instructional time and allow for acceleration of the curriculum continuum when students return to school.
- In the event the staff member is unable to teach on an eLearning day, the communications will be directed from the principal.
The intent of the scheduled eLearning days is to provide real-time learning (learning that continues in the continuum that you would be delivered during a “normal” school day) to support what would have happened had students come to school. These learning days are workdays for both students and staff: posting work for students is the evidence of showing up for work.
- Assignments/activities will be posted by 10:00 AM on the day of the scheduled flexible learning day. You may post assignments earlier.
- Attendance will be taken in each class 6-12 based on fulfilling the requirements of each teacher.
- Teachers may give students time appropriate to complete an activity, therefore does not necessarily need to be completed by the end of the school day.
- Teachers should use Blackboard to email parents in each class of the daily activities so they are informed of what is going on.
Attendance will be monitored and based on work completed. All learners will be counted absent 3 days after the eLearning day if work is not completed.
All students who do not have internet access or have other barriers in participating in the learning of the day will be given 3 school days to complete the assigned work.