Parent - Student Transition Information
Alexandria Public Schools will assist families in transition who are new to our district or currently enrolled. An array of services are available:
- Providing direct services to families and youth by enrolling children new to the district;
- Assessing their strengths and needs, including eligibility for various school programs;
- Arranging transportation;
- Providing school supplies;
- Gathering records to expedite enrollment and programming;
- Tutoring for academic success;
- Assessing requirements for graduation and testing;
- Identify and referring preschool students;
- Educating staff and community and advocating for community resources.
The federal McKinney Vento law ensures that Children & Youth in Transition have rights to:
- Immediate enrollment.
- Continue at the same school if transportation is feasible.
- Attend special programs and services as all other students.